About the position
The Institute for Evidence- Based Healthcare is calling for expressions of interest from health graduates wishing to complete a PhD. Please see below for proposed topic areas of research.
Further research by the HDR Candidate can lead to refinement of the specific research topic area and questions:
Proposed topic of research
- Evaluating the use of a web-based tool to improve the prescription of effective non-drug interventions in primary care.
- Developing and evaluating behavioural interventions to increase the update of salt substitutes (i.e., potassium-enriched salt) for managing cardiovascular disease in primary care.
- The evaluation and expansion of the use of effective non-drug interventions within culturally and linguistically diverse communities in Australia
- Evaluating the evidence and improving the uptake of non-drug approaches (such as weight loss and exercise) for managing diabetes in adults
- Evaluating and extending the reach of the ‘Informed Health Choices’ intervention within Arabic-speaking communities for assessing claims about treatment effects
- ‘Too Much Medicine’ in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: Evaluating the extent, drivers, and potential solutions.
- Evaluating the role of clinical practice guidelines to reduce low-value healthcare in primary care.
About the person
Selection Criteria for these opportunities include the following:
• A Bachelors in health-related area
• Excellent analysis and writing skills
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work in teams
• Evidence of project management and organisational skills, including the ability to achieve goals and deliver outcomes within a specified time period
• Demonstrated interest in the research area.
• Experience undertaking a substantial research project (e.g. Masters thesis or Honours thesis)
• Publication in a peer-reviewed journal
• Capacity to seek external funding with support from supervisors
In addition to high quality, personalised supervision and access to the full range of facilities available to Bond University students, the successful applicant will be entitled to the following benefits:
- Tuition fee waiver:
The Australian Government’s Research Training Program (RTP) scheme provides tuition fee waivers for eligible Australian and New Zealand citizens, and Australian permanent residents enrolled in higher degree programs such as a PhD. The tuition waiver will exempt the successful applicant from tuition fees for a maximum period of four years full-time equivalent.
International students may apply for a partial fee waiver of up to 75%. If approved, this fee waiver is valid for a maximum period of four years for full-time study.
- Support in applying for a scholarship: The successful applicant will be encouraged and supported to apply for the Living Stipend Scholarship at Bond University. The RTP also provides a limited number of scholarships for PhD students by way of a living stipend. Application is made through a competitive round held twice a year (closing 31 March and 30 September).
- Employment opportunities: The successful applicant may be provided with research assistant work within the Institute for Evidence Based Healthcare. Employment will be subject to the conditions of the PhD program and the terms of any scholarship awarded.
The successful applicant will need to meet all Bond University requirements for entry into the PhD program and achieve the milestones required by the University throughout their doctoral program. https://bond.edu.au/program/doctor-of-philosophy/entry_requirements
It is also a requirement that the successful applicant be based full-time at the Gold Coast campus.
Why study at Bond?
The Bond Faculty of Health Sciences and Medicine has a reputation for providing the best professional health education in the country, and we leverage that reputation to attract exceptional students and establish useful professional and institutional partnerships. We offer a suite of academically rigorous and professionally focussed health programs, delivered in an engaging and innovative manner by exceptional teachers. We demonstrate an outstanding student service ethic, offer an engaging and satisfying student experience, and prioritise student wellbeing. We engage in high quality, impactful research in niche areas of research excellence.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to work alongside highly respected senior academics conducting leading-edge research.