Creativity, knowledge, and innovation converge at the Swedish School of Textiles. Our unique lab environments and competencies relate to the majority of the textile value chain. Our close collaboration with both business and industry shapes our educational programmes and as a result, the Swedish School of Textiles is at the core of supplying the knowledge needed in the textile industry. Here, design, engineering, technology, production, business administration, and marketing meet, and that is why our textile research, textile innovation, and textile educational programmes are so strong. This makes the Swedish School of Textiles unique in Europe as well as an internationally recognised educational environment for its work towards a more sustainable textile value chain.
The research group for Textile Material Technology, under the leadership of Professor Vincent Nierstrasz, needs to recruit a doctoral student in textile technology with a focus on digital printing for functional and smart textiles.
The research during the doctoral programme is conducted within the research group Textile Material Technology and focuses on the use of digital printing, e.g. inkjet and valvejet, for the production of functional and smart textiles. Digital printing is a resource-efficient process that enables flexible production of advanced textile materials.
A full-time doctoral student must devote at least 80% to research studies and doctoral thesis work. Any remaining time, up to 20%, is for departmental duties consisting of teaching at Bachelor's and Master's level in relevant courses, supervision of degree projects, participation in external projects, and other assignments and/or administration.
Read about life as a doctoral student at the University of Borås.
The position as a doctoral student requires an engineering or Master's degree in chemistry, biotechnology, textiles or similar. Good knowledge in English in both speech and writing is required. Furthermore, employment as a doctoral student presupposes that you have good collaboration and initiative-taking skills, the ability to work independently and in a structured manner, and the ability to prioritise tasks.
Employment takes place under the condition that the applicant fulfills the requirements and is accepted as a doctoral student. Admission will be with the Textiles and Fashion research school, specialisation in textile technology.
Information related to the research area can be provided by Vincent Nierstrasz ([email protected]); the research school can be provided by Director of Studies Eva Gustafsson ([email protected]); and employment can be provided by Head of Department Niina Hernández ([email protected]). Trade union representative is Matilda Johansson, Saco-S. Trade union representatives can be reached via the university's switchboard at +46 (0)33-435 40 00.
Type of employment : The employment as a doctoral student in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance Chapter 5. Most of the time is devoted to research studies and the remaining time, up to 20 %, includes departmental duties at the Faculty of Textiles, Engineering and Business. If departmental duties are included, the doctoral education period is extended by a corresponding degree, however with a maximum of five years. The first employment period covers one year and is normally renewed by one year at a time. Employment rate : 100 % Start date : 1 December 2023 or as agreed upon. Position location : Borås, Sweden. Registration number : PA2023/145
You can apply for the position via our website by clicking on “Apply.” For more information on how to apply, visit How to apply for a job with us.
Write clearly in your application which position you are applying for and include the applicable reference number. A complete application should include the following electronic documents:
For information on how to meet the requirement for English, please visit the webpage English language requirements.
After the application deadline, no additions can be made electronically.
Please submit your application at the latest by 11 October 2023.
For the university, it is a matter of course to work for sustainable societal development throughout our operations and to work to promote diversity, equality, and accessibility. More information about the University of Borås and what it is like to work here.
The university as a workplace means employment with good conditions and benefits. Our modern campus is located in the city centre within walking distance of the main train and bus station, thus offering good commuting options. More information about terms of employment and career paths.
We kindly decline contact with advertisers and staffing companies in this recruitment.